Breaking News
Investing Pro 0
New Year’s SALE: Up to 40% OFF InvestingPro+ CLAIM OFFER

7 Factors That Could Drive Markets Ahead Of The Fed

By Pepperstone (Chris Weston)Market OverviewSep 18, 2022 09:47
uk.investing.com/analysis/7-factors-that-could-drive-markets-ahead-of-the-fed-200536912
7 Factors That Could Drive Markets Ahead Of The Fed
By Pepperstone (Chris Weston)   |  Sep 18, 2022 09:47
Saved. See Saved Items.
This article has already been saved in your Saved Items
 

Despite 13 central banks meeting this week and most expected to hike rates aggressively, the FOMC meeting is the week's marquee event. With so many variables that could move markets, we look at the core factors traders should be aware of when assessing risk around the FOMC meeting.

Rates Review – we display the implied rate hike priced by the market for the upcoming central bank meeting and the step up (in basis points) to the following meeting(s).

1. 75bp Hike Incoming

Arguably the debate everyone wants answering straight away; will the Federal Reserve hike the fed funds rate by 50bp, 75bp, or 100bp – the consensus view (from economists) is they hike by 75bp, with the market pricing in 80bp – this equates to an 80% chance of 75bp and 20% of 100bp.

Given the recent (Aug) US CPI print (core CPI at 6.3%), I think we can rule out a 50bp hike. 100bp would be a surprise and make a defiant statement, but again this seems unlikely. So, 75bp is the play, and given the elevated expectations in rates pricing, a 75bp hike in isolation offers modest downside risks in the USD.

2. The ‘Dot plot’ Projections

The Fed offers forecasts for where they see the Fed funds rate in the years ahead. The current median projection for 2022 and 2023 is 3.38% and 3.8%, respectively – One suspects these will lift to 3.9% (2022) and 4.1% (2023), just under current market pricing.

3. Powell's Press Conference 

US financial conditions are the tightest since April 2020, with 30-year mortgage rates at 6.33%. The Fed’s Quantitative Tightening (QT) program is about to beef up to $95b a month; Fed chair Jay Powell will be grilled (in his press conference) on how long policy is expected to be restrictive and the signals they are watching for slowing the pace of policy tightening.

4. FOMC Statement

Reading the statement, how concerned will the Fed be given likely persistently high core and ‘sticky’ inflation – notably, around core goods, shelter, and rental inflation?

5. Inflation Forecast

It wouldn’t shock at all to see its core PCE inflation forecasts lift for 2022 from 4.3% to 4.5%, but will there be any change to the call of 2.7% for 2023?

6. GDP Forecast

In June, the Fed forecasted GDP at 1.7% for both 2022 and 2023 – we should see the 2022 GDP forecast cut in half, but will we see forecasts of 1.7% GDP for 2023 revised lower?

7. Unemployment Forecasts

Again, looking at the economic projections, the Fed is expected to forecast a slightly higher unemployment rate for 2022 and 2023. The current forecast is 3.7% (2022) and 3.9% (2023) respectively.

Conclusion

With the market pricing a 20% chance of a 100bp hike and the ‘dots’ likely to undershoot market pricing modestly, it feels there could be a downside bias in the USD into and around the meeting.

Rates review.
Rates review.

Any selling in the USD will provide relief to equities, but I suspect this offers levels for the shorts to re-enter. The market will watch the ‘terminal’ rate in fed funds pricing (currently 4.4%), and risky assets should be sensitive to moves in this pricing.

United States 2-Year Treasuries will be closely watched, and a move in the yield above 3.9% would be positive for the USD. Conversely, any move below 3.80% would weigh on the USD and boost risky assets.

CFTC data shows traders long in USDs, and broad positioning is the most stretched since July 2020. Clients are sensing a turn and are largely positioned short USD, notably vs. the GBP and JPY. We see traders net short NASDAQ and positioned for a near-term bounce in gold.

Implied volatility.
Implied volatility.

Unsurprisingly 1-week FX volatility has risen, notably GBP/USD, which is close to the 100th percentile of the 12-month range. We can see the expected move (up or down) over the week and the implied range (with a 68% confidence level). The market is expecting greater movement, so consider this in position sizing.

7 Factors That Could Drive Markets Ahead Of The Fed
 

Related Articles

Alfonso Peccatiello
Recession or Soft Landing? By Alfonso Peccatiello - Jan 23, 2023

The soft landing crew is increasingly taking over. No, the bond market’s base case is not a recession - it’s immaculate disinflation. Getting this call right is crucial for your...

7 Factors That Could Drive Markets Ahead Of The Fed

Add a Comment

Comment Guidelines

We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind: 

  • Enrich the conversation
  • Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
  • Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
  •  Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
  • NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
  • Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
  • Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
  • Only English comments will be allowed.

Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.

Write your thoughts here
 
Are you sure you want to delete this chart?
 
Post
Post also to:
 
Replace the attached chart with a new chart ?
1000
Your ability to comment is currently suspended due to negative user reports. Your status will be reviewed by our moderators.
Please wait a minute before you try to comment again.
Thanks for your comment. Please note that all comments are pending until approved by our moderators. It may therefore take some time before it appears on our website.
Comments (2)
Md Asif
Md Asif Dec 17, 2022 9:34
Saved. See Saved Items.
This comment has already been saved in your Saved Items
hello
chhoturam CHHOUDHRIY
chhoturam CHHOUDHRIY Sep 19, 2022 15:59
Saved. See Saved Items.
This comment has already been saved in your Saved Items
Bullish
 
Are you sure you want to delete this chart?
 
Post
 
Replace the attached chart with a new chart ?
1000
Your ability to comment is currently suspended due to negative user reports. Your status will be reviewed by our moderators.
Please wait a minute before you try to comment again.
Add Chart to Comment
Confirm Block

Are you sure you want to block %USER_NAME%?

By doing so, you and %USER_NAME% will not be able to see any of each other's Investing.com's posts.

%USER_NAME% was successfully added to your Block List

Since you’ve just unblocked this person, you must wait 48 hours before renewing the block.

Report this comment

I feel that this comment is:

Comment flagged

Thank You!

Your report has been sent to our moderators for review
Continue with Google
or
Sign up with Email